In our recent release, Adventures of Chris, the titular character isn’t your typical superhero. He’s not impossibly strong like Superman. He’s not lightning-fast like the Flash. He’s not incredibly perceptive like Daredevil. Instead, Chris is a geeky teenager who was turned into a balloon by his enemies. With the ability to float (and a small dose of magic), Chris fights to overthrow a villainous underworld. While he’s not your typical superhero, there is one thing he shares in common with a handful of pop culture’s biggest heroes: a love of food.
Chris’s crime-fighting action sequences are fueled by junk food like cakes and cookies. Looking through some of history’s most popular heroes, we can uncover numerous characters who share a similar passion for cuisine.
1. The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. We all know what Leonardo, Raphael, Michelangelo, and Donatello love eating for dinner: pizza. In the cartoons, movies, and books, the crime-fighting gang obsesses over their pies. Just don’t top their pizza with anchovies or they might take you down like the Foot!
2. The Flash. As any athlete can tell you, running in a competitive setting requires proper nutrition. To run faster than Mach 3, like The Flash, requires a good bit of eating. In Green Arrow #26, The Flash says he has to eat 50 times his body weight every day to keep up with his calorie expenditure. According to The Science Of, that means The Flash needs to eat about 4.25 million calories every day. That’s some serious dedication to eating, so it’s a good thing he has super speed to help gobble those meals down.
3. Scooby-Doo. Scooby-Doo doesn’t have superpowers, but this reluctant vigilante has sent dozens of crooks to prison. His success rate at solving crimes and catching crooks is thanks in part to his obsession over one food item: the Scooby Snack. Sure, he and Shaggy can scarf down 10-layer sandwiches in a single bite, but Scooby-Doo is willing to put on the world’s bravest face for a taste of a single Scooby Snack.
4. Deadpool. Deadpool’s love for chimichangas is well-documented through comics, and his favorite meal was referenced when he hit the silver screen in 2016. To be fair, we can’t really blame him. Burritos are great on their own, and they’re only better when they’re fried.
5. Wolverine. The brooding X-Men character has a long depressive streak, so it’s not surprising to find him coping with a bottle of beer. In Astonishing Spider-Man & Wolverine, Wolverine even invented beer by traveling back in time and creating a “sacred liquid” for the Small Folk he helps defend.
Chris might be a goofy teenager, but his humor and love of food puts him in good company with some of history’s most popular heroes.